GHP Summer Research Project
The GHP summer research project offers a direct view into the global health field. These experiences can be the springboard for a more fulfilling senior thesis project—and can even help you uncover a potential future career.
Research Planning Process
1. Explore Your Options
We encourage you to engage in health-related research experiences throughout your time at Princeton. However, you must complete a qualifying project during the summer after junior year to fulfill the GHP certificate requirements. Options that fulfill the research requirement include:
- A research-focused internship: View GHP-approved internships
- Participation in laboratory and/or faculty research
- Projects completed through our Health Scholars Programs, which include funding for independent research
- An independent project: get in touch to talk to us about your options.
2. Begin Planning
As you get started, consider the following:
- Are you already committed to a summer research project - in the lab or elsewhere?
- Do you want to go global or stay in the U.S.?
- Do you want to do research towards your senior thesis?
- Which departmental faculty can advise you as you plan your project?
- Are there other undergraduate or graduate students who might be able to help you envision your project?
3. Choose a Topic
- Which topics from your studies have been most interesting?
- Which courses have you most enjoyed?
- How might they translate into a research project?
4. Define Your Project
- How might interdisciplinary thinking apply?
- Do you tend to prefer working independently or with faculty?
- Are there faculty members you may want to work with?
- How your project might inform your senior thesis project?
- What kinds of research tools will you need access to?
5. Find Funding
Projects completed through Princeton's Health Scholars Programs and many GHP-approved internships are funded. For additional funding information, visit SAFE, Princeton's Student Activities Funding Engine.
Research Methods Workshops
We offer both qualitative and quantitative research-methods workshops to help prepare you for your summer research project. Contact us for more information about upcoming sessions.
Plan Your Project
- Summer research design & funding
- Research methods training
- Health & safety information