GHP Certificate Program Prerequisites
Laying the Foundation
Before entering the certificate program in Global Health and Health Policy (GHP), you must take two prerequisite courses and complete the additional requirements below.
The GHP program begins in junior year, so you should complete these requirements before the end of sophomore year. Your application will be submitted during spring of sophomore year.
1. TAKE Two Prerequisite Courses
1 FOUNDATIONS course* from this list
- URB 201 (Introduction to Urban Studies)
- SOC 217 (Inequality, Health and Health Care Systems)
- ANT 240 (Medical Anthropology)
- ENV 200 (Environmental Nexus)
- GSS 201 (Introduction to Gender and Sexuality Studies)
- MOL 101 (From DNA to Human Complexity)
- MOL/EEB 211: Life on Earth: Chaos and Clockwork in Nature
- MOL/EEB 214 (Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Biology)
- ISC 231-234 (An Integrated, Quantitative Introduction to the Natural Sciences)
1 statistics course* from this list
- ECO 202 (Statistics and Data Analysis for Economics)
- MOL 290 (Quantitative Methods in Cell and Molecular Biology)
- ORF 245 (Fundamentals of Engineering Statistics)
- POL 345 / SOC 305 / SPI 211 (Introduction to Quantitative Social Science)
- PSY 251 (Quantitative Analysis in Psychological Research)
- SML 201 (Introduction to Data Science)
- SOC 301 (Sociological Research Methods)
- SPI 200 (Statistics for Social Science)
Have AP credit?. If you have placed out of departmental requirements and/or introductory level courses with Advanced Placement (AP) credit, you may opt to take higher level courses in lieu of the standard science and statistics prerequisites, with advance permission.
- Advanced science course options: EEB 309, EEB 314, EEB 327, EEB 328
- Advanced statistics course options: ECO 302, ECO 312, ORF 405
2. MEET Minimum Grade Requirements
- A minimum grade of B (3.0) in each of the two prerequisite courses (from the lists above)
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 overall, following completion of the sophomore year*
*Students not meeting these standards are still welcome to apply, exceptions are granted on a case by case basis.